ABB’s latest generator circuit-breaker with innovative built-in monitoring increases safety in power plants
ABB’s generator circuit-breaker (GCB), HVS-63S is a cost-optimized solution to help to increase the availability and reliability of power plant units up to 200 megawatt (MW).
HVS-63S is the latest addition to ABB's GCB portfolio with SF6 interrupting technology for short-circuit currents up to 63 kA and rated currents up to 7,150 A. Based on the well-proven HVR-63 technology, the new GCB is fully integrated with voltage and current transformers, earthing switches, surge arresters within its compact housing. It is ideal for new installations, as well as replacements and retrofits of existing units.
GCB protects the important assets in power plants such as generators and transformers by clearing potential harmful short-circuit faults in tens of milliseconds preventing severe damages and possibly lengthy plant downtime.
Increasing the overall power plant availability and reliability
- Built-in monitoring device for a real-time indication of mechanical erosion. This provides information on the remaining time to service and enables a timely planning of maintenance to increase safety of the power plant.
- Innovative breaking chamber with double main contacts to enable double current commutation for higher stability of resistance during maintenance span (20 years or 10,000 close-open operations).
- Features HMB-1, the most reliable spring drive*, which operates three poles simultaneously while enabling 50 percent less energy demand compared to mid-sized GCBs.
- Low SF6 content of only 5.1kg in three poles, with low leakage rate of less than 0.1 percent per year.
- Combined disconnector and earthing and starting switch allows use of only one operating mechanism for simplification and cost-effective management of spare parts.
- Fully assembled, factory tested plug-in design brings substantial time and cost savings in installation and commissioning.
- Compact design fits into a standard 20-feet container for easy transportation and handling.
Continuous research and development enables ABB to provide the most modern and up to date portfolio of GCBs worldwide. HVS-63S is type tested to meet the latest GCB standards and the most stringent IEC and IEEE requirements.
ABB is the leader in design and manufacturing of GCBs since 1954 with more than 8,000 deliveries for all types of power plants in over 100 countries. ABB offers the widest and most modern portfolio of GCBs in SF6 and vacuum technology across a range of short-circuit ratings, from 50 kA to 300 kA and nominal currents from 3,150 A to over 50,000 A to meet the demand of all types of power plants around the globe.
* Most reliable drive as per paper A3- 206 presented at CIGRE 2012