The task of the autotransformers along the catenary line is to balance the voltages between the catenary and the earth, and the negative phase conductor and the earth, and then distribute the return current evenly between the two phases.
Advantages compared to single phase feeding systems:
- Lower losses due to higher voltage
- Longer distance between catenary feeder substations
- Better collection of returning stray currents
- Reduced interference for communications
- Frequencies: 16.67, 25, 50, 60 Hz
- Power ratings: 4 - 15 MVA
Why Hitachi ABB Power Grids?
- Compactly designed, low weight transformers
- Solution for kiosk mounting with an integrated oil sump